Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Respect


Main Entry: 1re·spect 
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈspekt\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin respectus, literally, act of looking back, from respicere to look back, regard, from re- + specere to look — more at spy
Date: 14th century
1 : a relation or reference to a particular thing or situation 
2 : an act of giving particular attention : consideration
3 a : high or special regard : esteem b : the quality or state of being esteemed c plural : expressions of respect or deference s>

Is it me, or has the society kind of lost the ability to respect others? By now, I am sure we have all hear about the Jet Blue flight attendant who reacted (pretty negatively) to being cussed at and hit in the head by a passenger on a recent flight.

In this case, who didnt respect who? It probably went both ways, but I am sure the incident was escalated by the way the passenger treated the flight attendant. I wonder, was it really necessary? Sometimes I stand back and observe the way people act while out in public, and I am telling you, it can be an eye opening experience.

In my workplace, patients nowadays have the idea that they can talk anyway they want to the staff, act anyway they want and because we have to see every person who walks in the door, we are required by law to take the abuse. Not so any more. This is an entirely different post and I wont take up time today with this, but the time is coming when ER staff will not have to deal with the abuse.

I have had my eyes opened recently, and am vowing to practice tolerance and respect for others. Please, everyone, try to do the same. The world will be a better place if we all make a conscious effort.......

2 comments:

joanne said...

I miss those days when people were more respectful to others in general. When employers become more concerned about the dollar and not their reputation or employees then we became doomed to idiots who think the world owes them something. I've seen people come into the hospital and act as if they were in a resort and I was there to wait on them sad.

Ness said...

Thanks for posting this. It is even more devastating when it happens in your own family. My youngest is really giving me a workout this week and I'm at the end of my rope. I don't deserve the disrespect.